“Buildings help us remember things that happened, and it is important to take care of them so they stay useful.” —student quote
- Formerly, The Bridge
- 2302 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
- Date and Style
- Built in the 1880s
- —Victorian (Italianate) style
- Erected during the reign of Queen Victoria of England (1837-1901), this Victorian Italianate building is based on the style of Italian Renaissance villas. At the roofline are deep eaves with large brackets on a wide cornice board. The window shapes vary from one floor to the next, and are capped with decorative stone window hoods.
- Facade improvements funded through the Urban Redevelopment Authority's Streetface Program
- Facts and Stories Worth Knowing
- In 1916, the building was owned by E. Rohrkaste, who owned the Empire Laundry Company. Before that, he had a grocery store business here.
- In the 1980s, Tambellini's Restaurant was located at 2302 East Carson
- The Bridge restaurant and bar opened in 2004. The upstairs and basement of the building are used for storage space.
- The Bridge hosted Monday Night Quarterback with Fox Sports, so several players on the Pittsburgh Steelers have visited the restaurant.
- The building is spotlighted at night, thanks to the South Side Local Development Company's façade lighting program.
- The former restaurant was named “The Bridge” because it is near the Birmingham Bridge, constructed in 1975-77. The steel, bowstring arch bridge is six lanes wide. It cost $23 million to build and replaced the earlier Brady Street Bridge. The Birmingham Bridge connects the South Side neighborhood of Pittsburgh with the Oakland section of the city.
- In 2007, The Library opened in place of The Bridge. The Library offers a selection of famous author and book referenced menu items.