“Here is a place to keep your money--100 years ago and even now. It was the first bank to have a drive-in window.” —student quote
- Formerly, Iron and Glass Bank
1114 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
- Date and Style
- Built in 1926
- —Neo-Classical style
- The popularity of Classical elements (such as Doric columns and “guttae”
that look like Lego blocks) in the United States and in Europe were
re-interpreted in new ways in the 1920s: hence, neo-Classical.
- Facts and Stories Worth Knowing
- In 1871, a group of men who forged iron and produced glass organized a place to deposit their savings. Their institution, the Iron and Glass Dollar Savings Bank of Birmingham, was first located at 1203 East Carson Street.
- In 1926, a new Iron and Glass Bank building was constructed at 1114 East Carson Street, where The Birmingham Hotel had previously been located.
- The Iron and Glass Bank was the first bank in Pittsburgh to have a drive-up window. The drive-thru was created in 1948 off East Carson Street.
- The bank vault weighs about 3,500 tons.
- In 2008, Iron and Glass Bank was acquired by First National Bank.