“This building helps tell the story of our past, and it's going to be interesting to go inside it when it is fixed up for a new use.” —student quote
- 1505-07 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
- Date and Style
- Built in 1881
- —Victorian Renaissance
- The windows are set within basket-handle arches with carved keystones. The cornice, or top of the building, is ornamented with brackets and carvings.
- Facade improvements funded, in part, through the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation's Preservation Loan Fund
- Facts and Stories Worth Knowing
- The datestone consists of a carved beehive surrounded by the name “Elias Kauffeld.” The date of 1881 appears under the beehive. The beehive recalls a famous German phrase: “Work makes life sweet.”
- A map of 1916 shows that the “German Beneficial Union” was located here. The initials, "GBU," were uncovered in 2005 during the building restoration (see photo below).
- The name "Schwartz Sanitary Market" was uncovered on the storefront signage of 1507 East Street during the 2005 restoration, revealing the original location of Schwartz Market (see photos below).
- From the 1960s on, Foto Hut Factory occupied the three-story commercial building, along with a few other tenants. Film was processed on the upper stories, and a store was on the ground floor. The building was painted yellow, representing Foto Hut's corporate color.
- In the early 2000s, Foto Hut closed its store and put the building up for sale.
- In 2004, the South Side Local Development Company (SSLDC) and TREK Development Group purchased the vacant building, with the help of a $250,000 loan from the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
- Restoration began in the summer of 2005 (see photos below). The project cost was just over $4 million. The project team included UpStreet Architects (Indiana, PA; Michael Eversmeyer, historic preservation architect; and Guardian Construction, contractor).
- In 2008, three new tenants moved into the newly-renovated building: Carson Street Deli and Owens Cleaners occupied the first floor; and Cardinal Resources, an environmental consulting firm, occupied the third floor. City Theater master leases the six residential units on the upper floors for out-of-town performers.
- Owens Cleaners has since moved out. Wingharts Burger and Whiskey Bar, which has a location in Market Square, has plans to move into the vacant first floor space.
- The South Side Local Development Company relocated to the second floor, along with the South Side Chamber of Commerce. Contact SSLDC for up-to-date news on South Side events and developments.